top of page
  • Writer's pictureIAM

Renters insurance a must for college students returning to campus

College students have returned to campuses across Michigan and the Insurance Alliance of Michigan is encouraging them to protect their belongings with renters insurance.

“Renters insurance, often overlooked by college students, is a great way to insure your belongings, whether you live in a dorm or off-campus,” said Tricia Kinley, executive director of the Insurance Alliance of Michigan. “Renters insurance can cost the same as a cup of coffee – just a few dollars per month – which is a small price to pay to protect expensive items like TVs, laptops or smartphones.”

A parent’s homeowners insurance policy may cover their child’s belongings if they live in a dorm room, however it likely won’t extend to off-campus housing. Parents should check with their insurance agent to find out what is covered under their homeowners insurance policy and if college students need renters insurance.

“Insurance companies and their agents are there to answer the call – day or night – to tackle everything from routine claims to disasters, and we encourage policyholders to reach out to their insurance company or agent with any and all questions,” Kinley said. “We are proud to support our member companies as they protect families, homes, businesses – and belongings.”

Some landlords require students to have renters insurance before signing a lease, so be sure to read the fine print.

Whether students are covered through a homeowners policy or renters insurance, they should have a list of all their belongings, including purchase price, model numbers and serial numbers. Photos or video footage will also suffice.

14 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page